Dr. Robert Hudson Ramsey


The Clarksburg Telegram., August 04, 1905

Headstone Inscription for Dr. Robert Hudson Ramsey

Loses Balance While Trying to Get Pail of Water Through Office Window on Second Floor–

Father Finds Him Lifeless Shortly Afterward–

Suffered from Enlargement of Heart and Distressing Palpitation–

News of Untimely Demise Brings Gloom to all.

Dr. Robert H. Ramsay was found dead at 4:30 o’clock Sunday morning by his father Dr. J. W. Ramsay, on a small platform in the rear of their offices on the second floor of Latstetter building at the corner of West Pike and North Third streets.

The Latstetter Building

For several days Dr. Ramsay, Jr., had suffered from enlargement of the heart and terrible and very distressing palpitation of that organ and most of the time had been confined to his room in the offices. During his illness loving attention was given him by his father and under treatment he became relieved of his fearful suffering, but was left very weak. The father provided him with many inviting refreshments but he had no appetite and could not eat. He took no nourishment, whatever, except some ice water.

There appeared marked improvement in his condition the night before his death, and when his father was summoned on a professional call about 2:30 o’clock Sunday morning he seemed comparatively comfortable, and, in answer to an inquiry by his father, said he felt better and wanted nothing.

Upon Dr. Ramsay’s return

at 4:30 o’clock the first thing he did was to go to his son’s bedside to inquire about his condition, but he found the bed empty and the young doctor no where in sight. The thought occurred to him that he might have fallen out of the window, at the end of the room. He went to the window, looked out and saw him lying on the platform six feet below and wedged in between a large rain barrel and the wall of the building. Unable to extricate him, Dr. Ramsay went out for assistance. Returning with two others, he quickly lifted the body from the platform. An examination was made and it was learned with great pain that life was extinct.

It appears the young doctor had arisen from his bed, and without dressing threw his overcoat around him, picked up a small pail and went to the window for the purpose of getting some water out of the barrel. In leaning over the window all he lost his balance and fell.

Image of an example of a rain barrel

Death came by strangulation as there were no wounds and only a slight scratch or two on his body.

The accident could not have happened long before the discovery was made as the body was still warm, when removed from the platform, and this led to the hope that restoratives might avail, but all efforts, proved futile.

The remains were removed from the office to the parlors of the Clifford-Osborn Undertaking Company at 7 o’clock, where they lie in state.


Dr. Ramsay, deceased, was the only son of Dr. J. W. and Mrs. Virginia L. Hoffman Ramsay. The father was born in New Geneva, Pa., and was educated at Monongahela Academy and Jefferson Medical College. During the Civil War he entered the service as a regimental surgeon and later became chief surgeon of division, medical director, etc. He was captured and sent to Clarksburg a paroled prisoner, and was so favorably impressed with the city, that he located here after the war. Since that time he has enjoyed a large and lucrative practice, and today as in all the years past he has an enviable distinction among physicians and great popularity with the public.

In addition to his professional services he served the state in several positions suitable to the profession.

Mrs. Ramsay, deceased, mother of Dr. Robert H. Ramsay, was a daughter of John H. Hoffman, of Morgantown, now deceased, in his life —word illegible– a prominent banker in that city, and a member of one of that county’s most prominent families.

Advertisement for the Clifford Osborne Undertaking Company
Dr. Robert H. Ramsay was 30 years of age.

He graduated at the Morgantown –word illegible — and from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, after which he began the practice of his profession, meeting with brilliant success, until ill-health overtook him caused by being quarantined a few (illegible word) West Virginia University at Morgantown years ago with smallpox patients at Mt. Clare and having an attack of the disease.

The deceased was commissioned first lieutenant in Company I under Captain M. G. Sperry in the Second West Virginia Regiment of volunteer infantry in the Spanish American war in the spring of 1898 and was discharged in 1899 at the close of the war. During that time he served at Camp Atkinson, Camp Meade and Camp Weatherill in South Carolina, displaying exceptional ability as an army officer.

For several years prior to his enlistment in the army Dr. Robert H. Ramsay served and was a nn-commissioner officer in the First Regiment of the WV National Guard.

1898 Spanish American War image

Surviving him of the immediate family are his father and one sister—Mrs. Lucy Kohr, wife of Harvey Kohr, a prominent Washington City attorney, connected prominently with the War department.


The Daily Telegram., August 01, 1905

The funeral of the late Dr. Robert H. Ramsay, who died of heart trouble early Sunday morning, took place Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 o’clock from the residence of Mrs. Mary R. Goff, 406 West Pike Street, attended by a large number of sorrowing friends. The Rev. S. K. Arbuthnot, pastor of Goff Methodist Episcopal Church conducted the funeral services. Interment occurred in the I. O. O. F. Cemetery. The pall bearers were D. L. Grove, Col. Harry R. Smith, Gail Deison, Fred Criss, Benjamin F. Shuttleworth, Jr., and Will Mulheran.

Mrs. Lucy Kohr, of Washington D. C., sister of the deceased was unable to come to the funeral on account of sickness. A telegram which conveyed this information was received by the relatives here Monday night.

Leave a Reply