Markwood Samuel Swartz

Markwood at a young age in a kilt
Young Markwood

Markwood was born March 10, 1877 in Harrison County West Virginia. Sometime around 1898 he enlisted in the United States Army. He died March 1, 1902 on Luzon Island in the Philippines, several months prior to the end of his enlistment.

The Philippine – American War was an armed conflict between the First Philippine Republic and the United States that lasted from February 4, 1899, to July 2, 1902. While Filipino nationalists viewed the conflict as a continuation of the struggle for independence that began in 1896 with the Philippine Revolution, the U.S. government regarded it as an insurrection.

The conflict arose when the First Philippine Republic objected to the terms of the Treaty of Paris under which the United States took possession of the Philippines from Spain, ending the short Spanish – American War.

Clarksburg Boys Ordered to China.

The Clarksburg Telegram., July 27, 1900

Advices received here state that the First U. S. Cavalry of the regular army stationed at Ft. Meade, S. D., has been ordered to China and is making ready to start the first of next week. Two Clarksburg young men, Cuthbert Osborn and Markwood Swartz, belong to these troops and, of course, will go to China.

The Wheeling Intelligencer., August 3, 1900

In the Fifth United States Cavalry, stationed at Ft. Meade, S.D., which has just been ordered to China, are two Clarksburg boys, Cuthbert Osburn, the well known university football player, and Markwood Swartz.

These following news articles provide a brief account of his death and the return of his remains.


Evening Star (Washington, D.C.)., April 14, 1902 Pg 11

The Washington Times., April 12, 1902, Pg 7

Latest Report of Casualties in the Philippines.

Markwood S. Swartz, private, A, 1st Cavalry, March 1 Dysentery

Markwood Swartz Dead

The Clarksburg Telegram., April 25, 1902 Pg 4

Markwood Swartz son of Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Swartz, of this city, is dead in the Philippine Islands, where he was a United States soldier. He died March 1 from dysentery, but there was no intelligence of the sad event until Monday morning, when three letters, which had been sent him from this place were returned. These letters had marked on them “dead.” Mr. Swartz immediately wired the War Department at Washington for information. Friends also telegraphed United States Senator Scott to look the matter up. That afternoon messages came from both the War Department and Senator Scott, saying the official records showed him dead and that he died March 1 on Luzon Island. Senator Scott has interested himself and will arrange for the bringing home of the body. This will be done by the Government in the near future. Markwood was a popular young man and a brave soldier. His parents have the sympathy of all in their bereavement.

Markwood Swartz’s Remains

The Clarksburg Telegram., May 09, 1902 Pg 3

Representative Dovener has secured an order from the Secretary of War for the return to this country of the body of M.S. Swartz, a trooper of Troop A, First United States Cavalry, and a former resident of Clarksburg. Swartz died in the Philippines, from fever March 1, of this year.

Markwood Swartz’s Remains Coming

The Clarksburg Telegram., June 27, 1902

Jacob M. Swartz received a communication from U.S. Army officials in the Philippines Wednesday morning of date of May 16, informing him that the remains of his son, Markwood, would be sent to New York instead of San Francisco, as originally arranged. Mr. Swartz, through County Clerk V.L. Highland, immediately communicated with the quarter master in New York to have the body shipped here upon its arrival there.

Images originally found at

Leave a Reply