Phillip Moene


The Daily Telegram., July 17, 1903
The Clarksburg Telegram., July 24, 1903


Phillip Moene, of North View, Succumbs to Fractured Leg and Other Hurts, at Harrison County Hospital Thursday Night.

Map of Early North View where Phillip Moene lived and worked

Phillip Moene, an employee of the LaFayette Glass Works, who received a broken leg and other injuries on the night of July 8 near Wilsonburg when the gang of men in the employ of the Salem Terminal Traction Company tore up and destroyed several hundred yards of the track of the Fairmont & Clarksburg Traction Company’s road, died at the Harrison County Hospital Thursday night at 9 o’clock from his injuries.

Moene was among the gang of men the Salem Car Company persuaded to go and help tear up the rails and ties of the track of the Fairmont & Clarksburg road, a competitor of the Salem Terminal Traction Company.

It was while engaged in shifting a long, heavy steel rail that Moene met with the accident. The rail fell upon him, mashing his right leg, fracturing it very badly. He also sustained other injuries. He was taken to the Harrison County Hospital to receive treatment. The doctor who attended him found the fractured limb to be the worst injury of its kind he had ever seen.

Advertisement for the Clifford Osborne Undertaking Company

The deceased was 37 years of age. He is survived by a wife and two children, the children being girls, aged 13 and 15 years, respectively. He was employed at the LaFayette Glass Factory, and lived in a house in North View near the factory.

The remains were taken to the undertaking establishment of the Clifford-Osborne company and prepared for burial. No arrangements have been made as yet for the funeral.


The Clarksburg Telegram., July 24, 1903, page 14

The funeral of Phillip Moene, who died at the Harrison County Hospital Thursday night from injuries received at Wilsonburg by having a steel rail fall upon him while working with one of the street car construction gangs, took place from the late residence in Northview Saturday afternoon at 3 o’clock. The remains were laid to rest in the I. O. O. F. cemetery.

Leave a Reply